With the three resources of paper prototypes, wireframes and the results from the first quick user tests I was able to start designing my first digital prototype with higher fidelity. At this point in time I decided to name my application SILVA. As I included the Latin names of the trees in the descriptions I looked up the equivalent translation for forest and SILVA was the result. A nice short name that has a nice ring to it in my opinion. The name was also very suitable for the design of the logo, which is supposed to resemble a bar-code and a forest.
The clickable prototype of the application was created in Adobe XD and followed predefined user flows. Before the final submission, the prototype was used to conduct extensive usability tests.
Due to the unexpected circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, the usability tests had to be conducted remotely. In order to get the most representative results from this user testing I had to ensure that the participants were representative of my end-users. Therefore, I tried to have a few test subjects from within the age range of students in college, but furthermore also test subjects who were working professionals within the age range of 30-40 years who might not use smartphones as much as the younger generations.
The first method of usability testing was done through Zoom calls in which the participants were sharing their screen as they completed predefined tasks with the prototype. I paid close attention to their interactions and asked follow-up questions after each task.
The second testing method was done through a user testing platform called Useberry, which allowed me to upload my prototype, define tasks and then share the test through a link. My participants would then be able to complete these tasks and generate useful insight data such as heat-maps and click-through videos of them completing the tasks.
The final results of these testing methods fed into the last iterations of the prototype before submission.